Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Syllabus: Expectations For The Year

Syllabus

Expectations For The Year

This first post is simple; it is an online version of the syllabus I will hand out in class, and this online portion just serves as a reminder of all of the things I will be going over from the syllabus. For any references necessary, I will also attach a copy of the syllabus to the class Weebly and Blackboard pages.

Who Am I?

I am Mr. Sciacchitano. For those parents reading, that's Andrew Sciacchitano, and I am most commonly called Mr. Shock (or sometimes Coach Shock). I can be found in classroom 1025, where I hold class and tutoring sessions. My email address is andrew.sciacchitano@tuhsd.org, and my office phone number is (623) 478-4494, so that you may contact me in the case of any questions or concerns. I look forward to a year full of cooperation and success.

Course Goal And Description

The goal of this course is to demonstrate mastery on formative and summative assessments along with the End of Course Assessment with a 60% or higher.

This Geometry course is a mastery-based program. The course is divided into key objectives, written in the form of an "I Can" statement. Students will be taught the math content and skills using the "I Can" statements and will practice the material both inside and outside of class. Once complete, the students will need to demonstrate mastery of the "I Can" statement on a formative assessment. After all of the "I Can" statements in a given unit are completed, students will take a unit summative assessment requiring completion of all of the statements. Class mastery will be recorded on a chart in the classroom.

Course Outcomes

Topics that will be covered first semester include:

Unit 1: Geometric Foundations
  • I can apply the Segment Addition Postulate and the Angle Addition Postulate.
  • I can determine the measure of complementary, supplementary, linear pair, and vertical angles.
  • I can apply properties of segment and angle bisectors.
Unit 2: Parallel and Perpendicular Lines
  • I can identify the relationships in space between lines, planes, and angles.
  • I can identify and solve for missing angles formed by transversals.
  • I can apply theorems about parallel lines and perpendicular lines.
Unit 3: Triangle Congruence
  • I can classify and solve for missing angles in triangles.
  • I can apply properties of isosceles and equilateral triangles.
  • I can prove triangles are congruent.
Unit 4: Similarity
  • I can determine if triangles are similar using similarity postulates and theorems.
  • I can solve problems and prove relationships in geometric figures.
  • I can identify and apply properties of dilations.
Unit 5: Triangle Properties
  • I can apply properties of perpendicular and angle bisectors.
  • I can apply properties of medians and altitudes of triangles.
  • I can solve problems using properties of triangles.
Topics that will be covered second semester include:

Units 6: Right Triangles and Trigonometry
  • I can identify and write a trigonometric ratio and explain their relationships.
  • I can use trigonometric ratios to solve right triangles in applied problems.
  • I can apply trigonometric ratios to solve special right triangles.
Unit 7: Circle Concepts
  • I can calculate the measure or length of an arc and its related angle.
  • I can apply properties of angles to calculate or construct inscribed and circumscribed circles.
  • I can apply properties of chords, tangents, and secants.
Unit 8: Transformational Geometry
  • I can identify and describe a transformation in words or using an equation.
  • I can construct a transformation and determine its new coordinates.
Unit 9: Properties of Polygons and Quadrilaterals
  • I can identify and apply properties of quadrilaterals and parallelograms.
  • I can apply properties of rhombi, rectangles, and squares.
  • I can apply properties of trapezoids and kites.
Unit 10: Three-Dimensional Measurement
  • I can calculate the surface area of a figure and use to model or solve relevant problems.
  • I can calculate the volume of a figure and use to model or solve relevant problems

Grades

Grades will be on a standard "A-B-C-D-F" scale, and will be weighted as follows:
  • Homework/Other Assignments      13%
  • Formative Assessments                  23%
  • Summative Assessments                54%
  • End of Course Assessment             10%

Other Topics of Note

Tutoring

Tutoring will be offered on Thursdays from 2:15 to 3:30 or by appointment ONLY. Tutoring buses are available on Tuesdays and Thursdays to accommodate this schedule.

Formative and Summative Assessments

Students may take an alternate version of a formative assessment (quiz), and are encouraged to do so when needed. This is to be done before the unit Summative Assessment. Any time after, the formative remains as it was in the gradebook.

Students may perform corrections on a summative assessment. This is to be done no later than two weeks after the summative assessment was assigned. Any time after, the summative remains as it was in the gradebook.

Absences

A student may make up formative or summative assessments missed due to absences, but is subject to the same deadlines as those above.

Homework

All assignments in a unit are due before the summative assessment for that unit. Late work will result in the loss of half of the credit.

Necessary Resources

It is of the utmost importance that you prepare yourself for class. In order to properly do so, you will have to acquire the following items:
  • Notebook: you will need a notebook in this class. In this notebook, the first five pages must be used as a glossary/index of useful definitions
  • Folder/Binder: This must have pockets! This is to hold on to all of the handouts and notes from class.
  • Pen/Pencil/Highlighter/Marker: These are essential for taking notes and for labeling them.

Rules and Procedures

All La Joya Rules and procedures apply. Please be aware of these specific topics, as they will be consistently enforced by staff:

Sweep: Student's entire body is in the door before the bell finishes ringing.
Bathroom Passes: No passes will be issued the first and last ten minutes of class, as well as during lunches.
Headphones: Headphones are patently not allowed during class (see Student Handbook).
Dress Code: Inappropriate dress will result in student reporting to Principal's office, can result in OCR (see Student Handbook).
ID's: Student identification cards are to be worn and visible at all times by students (see Student Handbook).
Phones/Technology: Unapproved technology, such as tablets and smart phones, are patently not allowed during class (see Student Handbook).

Attached Work


Now that you've read all of the information for my class, check your understanding with the online quiz on the Weebly page.

No comments:

Post a Comment